First let’s start off with what is social media. Social media can be Facebook, Twitter, Google+/Google Places, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram, Yelp!, even e-mail newsletters. The first step is figuring out what social media site works best for you business – where your customers are. You don’t want to waste your time on social sites that your customers aren’t on.
Now the why:
- It reaches your target market (plus some!)
- When a customer opts-in, that means they are interested in what you have to say.
- When a customer interacts with your company on a social site, their network sees it. What an easy way to expand your reach!
- Those customers are referrals for you! If someone in their network sees that they are interacting with your company, it creates a buzz for your company. When someone in their network is looking for your product, they will look to their network for referrals.
- It’s a great way to be interactive with your customers
- You can receive customer feedback which leads to learning what your customers want.
- It reminds your customer you are there. They may not need your products at the present time, but when they do, they will remember your company!
- It shows customers that you are human and will treat them as such also. BTW – people LOVE interacting with companies! It makes them feel special!
- It’s a great way to highlights events, promotions, and upcoming products in your company and industry.
- This leads to an increase in your sales whether it’s online or in-store
- It generates traffic to your website. You might be highlighting one item in your post, but it might intrigue someone to visit your website to see what you are all about and what other products you have to offer.
- The more active you are on social media, the higher your web search will be.
So, the above points don’t convince you that you need to be social? Check out the book, “Going Social: Excite Customers, Generate Buzz, and Engerize Your Brand with the Power of Social Media” by Jeremy Goldman. I grabbed this from the library when I was browsing. It’s a GREAT book for those who aren’t sure where to start with social media in their business. Jeremy is online at http://goingsoci.al/ or on Twitter @jeremarketer @goingsocial
Still not convinced? Check out the webinar that will be on July 15 through Constant Contact.